Friday, July 18, 2008

Live from Hong Kong

After a 22 hour train ride from Beijing to Shenzhen, and an interesting by-foot crossing of the China PRC - Hong Kong SAR border, I arrived in beautiful Hong Kong last Monday.

My official purpose was to attend a conference entitled "Environment, Health and Harmony" hosted by the Hong Kong America center at Chinese University of Hong Kong School of Public Health. it was a terrific conference, attended by over 95 students from throughout the Pearl river Delta (Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Macau, Xiamen, Guangzhou....). Pictures will follow in later postings.

Now I am staying in downtown Hong Kong and am overwhelmed by this breathtaking and bustling city. A true crossroads of east-meets-west. It is a truly cosmopolitan city and full of malls, malls, and more malls. As I have been luxuriating at my techotel, it has been awesome to taste the air of enencumbered speech, enjoy potable tap water, and take in all of the sino-european flavor of the city.

My impressions are many and I hope to update again soon with more photos and words. I did not bring my lap top in order to break the leash that computer had to me! It has been nice to not be staring and typing every day! ok, must be off to enjoy more of the sights on this lovely friday evening. cheers~

No comments: