Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I heart hong kong










Aside from the lovely break from the Olympics frenzy of Beijing, my trip to Hong Kong was fascinating from so many different perspectives.

The conference was excellent and I got to know a huge number of Chinese students and professors from throughout the Pearl River Delta.

As the conference was held in Hong Kong, students felt more comfortable to express themselves freely and not did not practice the self-censorship that makes many student discussions so formulaic. We had many "cafe sessions" in small groups to discuss issues of the environment, health, and development. The students were awesome and my group, the water pollution group even won a prize (see our photo!).

Following the conference I met with a colleague on our Green Supply Chain project with the Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs and a had great, and again, CANDID, discussion. I must have been craving direct and blunt conversation, as it is a rare treat to encounter on the mainland. This is not to say I do not understand the reasons for more careful and closed discussion on the mainland. In fact I understand them all too clearly and monitor my own words and opinions at all times. The stakes for being too openly expressive are high given the political and nationalistic climate in Beijing / China. For me, my risks do not compare to those of normal Chinese citizens. The worst consequence I would face would be be being asked to leave, and thereby jeopardize my academic progress and future research opportunities. For the Chinese, they risk their jobs and future livelihoods, reputations to their family, and in the worst case, detention in the Chinese penal system which is full of political dissidents.

Being in Hong Kong for only one week provided a wonderful glimpse of this fascinating east-meets-west culture. Imbued with the British legacies of etiquette, bi-lingual culture, and rampant capitalism, yet fully Chinese as 95% of the inhabitants are Chinese. In fact, Hong Kong at times feels more Chinese than China as the people are free to worship traditional gods and ancestors, speak openly regarding political issues, and have found great success as entrepreneurs under the last 99 years of market-based economy.

During my time in Hong Kong I went to the movies! Hung out at Page One bookstore! Shopped! and Toured the outer Islands which are tropical and beautiful with interesting markets and sea-side towns. It was a great trip, and thankfully, I crossed back over the Hong Kong - Shenzhen border with no problems, and flew home to Beijing late Sunday.

To note, Hong Kong Cinema is fantastic - Hong Kong Movie Stars: Tony Leung, Jackie Chan, the Hui Brothers, Bruce Lee, Chow Yun-fat, Cherie Chung and Stephen Chow.

As for the current Olympics craziness here in Beijing, its NUTS! And there is much to show and tell. Do stay tuned for another posting when I get a moment to digest all that is happening around me!






2 comments:

Archives Alive said...

Yeeeh! Nice to see you back on the blog. I want to heart Hong Kong, too. Sounds tres interesting. Miss you!

Archives Alive said...

And cute hair cut!