Friday, November 21, 2008

From a far away land





















Yes, I am back in the far away land called Yinchuan, in the Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region in Northwestern China. It is in the middle reach of the Yellow River, primarily agricultural society, known for its gouqi berries and its extreme seasons. I dug out my parka, and flew here from Beijing earlier this week to get to know more people associated with water resources in this rugged land.

If you recall back in April I ran into some trouble with the authorities while accompanying a team for some survey work. This time, I have cozied myself in the hospitable graces of the Ningxia University School for International Exchange, and feel much more protected than I did before.



It is a slow pace out here, especially in this time of year, but in the past few days I have been able to arrange several meetings with water resource scholars and officials. I still am working to hire an assistant because I am having trouble understanding what these guys are saying. But I hope they will all meet with me again in December when I have my assistant so she can translate for me.

All is well out here, had to have beer for lunch to do toasts with Mr. Tian the water resource engineering director. Now must rest before the next meeting in the afternoon.

No comments: