Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Catching the Olympic Spirit

Today is my last day at the CAS offices for a while as they are sending all students on vacation during the Olympics. We are literally across the street from the broadcast center, and adjacent to the Olympics Village, about 1/2 km from the Birds Nest, so it is getting harder and harder to actually reach work.

For example, today the Torch came down the big avenue by my house. I could hear a lot of "jia you" and some other chanting from my apartment, and I thought it was a parade. The I remembered, THE TORCH! It was very celebratory and fun but only a glimpse of the crowds and craziness of trying to navigate the city streets, and actually get around during the Games. By the time I reached my bus stop and got to work, the trip was 1 hour 20, usually a 45 minute ride.

Last night I took a walk near the Drum Tower and was feeling so impressed by how clean and beautiful the city looks. Beijingers are SO excited and merry. Despite my recent grumpiness over what a pain in the ass all the OLY-craziness has been, I really felt the depth of pride and energy while walking around yesterday.

I can't decide whether to watch the Opening ceremonies with my foreign friends near Sanlitun (foreign bar street), or to head to Ditan park and watch on the JUMBO screen with the locals. I really do want to hear how / if the western journalists restrain their tongue-lashings of the government which requires satellite cable.

No comments: