Thursday, April 3, 2008

Welcome to my 1,000 miles / 欢迎 到我的一千里.

Welcome to the blog of Christine.

Let me explain this blog's name.

I learned this Chinese Proverb a long time ago, and it has inspired me often to pursue some dream or another:

千里之行﹐始於足下
Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

credited to Laozi, an ancient Chinese philosopher

In recent days, I have begun a journey to study in China as a Fulbright Fellow for 10 months in pursuit of research related to my PhD in Environmental Planning from University of North Carolina.

During my travels back and forth to China, among other journeys I have taken in my life, I often wonder, "how did I end up here???"
Perhaps
optimistic naïveté, an adventurous spirit, a sense of wonder of things in this world. Something alive in me impelled me recently me take that first step, and look where I am now - Beijing, China!

With this blog, I hope my friends, family, colleagues can participate in my journey as I spend most of 2008 in Beijing China, along with the 15 million or so other humans here with me for the momentous year in China's modern era. The countdown to the Olympic Games is on, and preparations are in full motion throughout the city. With this blog, I hope to share thoughts, update people on my whereabouts, my research progress, some photos, and more.

Looking forward to the moments after that first HARD step!!!!

Also credited to Laozi,
道可道﹐非常道;名可名,非常名。
Dao ke dao, fei chang dao; ming ke ming, fei chang ming.
”The Dao that can be explained is not the true Dao; the Dao that can be named is not the true name of the Dao.”



1 comment:

Archives Alive said...

You sure are one true explorer--of mind, body and soul. I love it. Keep the posts coming! I will be looking for them with anticipation.